Thursday, April 25, 2013

Green, green grass of home

     One of the Asian Pear trees did not leaf out this year.  The trees are about a year and a half old, so not to fruiting stage yet.  Today we went to Crow's Nest Nursery, my favorite local nursery and bought a new tree that is about three years old.  Before I could plant it, I needed to mow the orchard and around the chicken coop and garden.
      Since I put electric fence around the entire garden, chicken, and tree area, I can no longer mow it with the tractor without taking the electric wire down each time.  When I mowed around the house last week, a narrow swath of grass was left for fear of damaging the house and deck with the tractor or brush hog.  I pulled out the professional size and style weed trimmer and spent several hours trimming the knee high grass around the perimeter of the house, around the outside of the electric fence and finally, around the coop, garden and the area within the electric fence.  I am spent.  Knowing that this will be a task repeated at least every two weeks during the summer and fall, we are discussing buying a yard riding mower and reserving the tractor for the heavier mowing of the parts of the yard that are only mowed a few times a year. A riding mower can be used to do a lot of the trimming that we have been using the weed trimmer to do.
     Since our local Sears is closing and they are starting their closing sale in a few days, we may on their doorstep early to see if there are any deals on their mowers.
     I still need to plant the tree we bought today, but that is going to have to wait until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment