Sunday, March 4, 2012

Spring?

      On March 1, the local paper stated that it was meteorlogical spring with the Vernal equinox still 3 weeks away and the last frost date for our area still at least 6 to 8 weeks away.  This is the time I start getting serious about my garden.  Having purchased some seed in early winter, some stored from last year, and the remaining sitting at the local Post Office waiting for me to come down and claim the package that contains the onion sets, potatoes, 2 more blueberry bushes and 2 Asian pear trees.
     Deciding that my seed starting indoors has been only marginally successful the past couple of years, I ventured to town and purchased a heat mat to go under the starter tray and ordered a seedling lamp that hopefully will be delivered before the seedlings can do more than germinate.  This is the day that I begin.  After pulling out the seed and marking on each package the planting date for this region, the seed is now organized by planting date in a neat arrangement in a small box.  Yes, for those of you who do not know me well, I am pretty obsessive about organization.  The gardening calendar with the plant by chart is nearby.  A flat of 3 types of tomatoes, 3 types of peppers, cabbage, kale, and chard planted and sitting on the heat mat for sprouting.

     As I sit doing all of my planning and planting of seedlings, looking at the calendar that says to start putting the early seed in the ground within the next week, it is snow flurrying with a forecast of 3 to 5 inches of snow by midmorning on Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment