Thursday, March 8, 2012

Update on Spring

So the snow came and went and the temperatures are near 60 today.  The daffodils even on the road up the mountain are in bloom, the forsythia in town  is blooming.  My forsythia is budded out but not blooming, the iris are sprouting as are the daylilies.  The fall planted garlic is up and strong.  I have seen snow much later in the year than this and our average last frost date in during the first week of May.

There is so much temptation to start planting, but I know from experience that it would be a grand mistake.  I do have 2 Asian pear trees and 2 Dwarf blueberries that arrived this week dormant and do need to be planted very soon.  First I must get rid of the creeping crude/plague.   Yesterday on day 7 of this malady, I finally called the doctor, I tend to just try to fight these things off myself, usually successfully, but I felt I was losing the battle.  My visit was scheduled this morning and I received the diagnosis of definite bronchitis, possibly early pneumonia and left with two prescriptions to aid my body in healing.  The doc said that he has seen more cases of pneumonia from this winter's bug than in any other year he has been in practice and that it seems to linger.  Thanks Doc, I needed that news.

The seeds I planted on Sunday are beginning to sprout.  There are mini cabbage, kale, and chard sproutlets and at least one of the tomato varieties is up.  Yesterday I received notice that the sprout lamp had shipped, so it should get here in time to strengthen the sprouts and keep them from getting to leggy.

Spring really is coming and with it, a whole new garden season.

No comments:

Post a Comment