Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Summer's End deux

The garden is a mess, chest high in weeds in some unused beds. Only a few tomatoes and beans being harvested and the chard and peppers are kicking into high gear as the evenings cool.  By this time of the season, I' m tiring of the daily harvest and putting by for winter and the internal debate is do I pull it all up and put it to bed for the season, or do I continue to harvest, freeze and can until I can't get another tomato or pepper.

The garden has been good this year. There are pounds of peas, beans,  beets and berries in the freezer. More than 50 pints of tomatoes in various forms (plus I took 15 pints to son's house last week), dozens of jars of jam and 16 pints of pickled jalapenos on the shelves.  There are some potatoes and onions and lots of garlic curing on the drying shelves.

We will run out of potatoes and onions and have to buy from the natural foods store, there will be tomatoes and jam left at the end of winter, but I just don't ever seem to be able to give it up until the frost kills it off.

By this time of the year, my knitting friends run and hide when they see me coming with a grocery sack, I expect even they are tired of my tomatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment