Thursday, June 13, 2013

Funky Fun

     When I bought my new spinning wheel, to get used to it without "wasting" good fiber, I took all the ends and samples that I had around and started spinning, adding the next bit when the bit I was working on was gone.  This had me spinning Merino and Merino/silk blend that I had used before, but also got me to try an assortment of other fibers such as Llama, Llama/Mohair, Corriedale wool, Blue Faced Leicester/silk blend, Alpaca, Shetland/Llama, Pendleton/Angora, Llama/wool, Cottswold Tunis cross wool, and Shetland/Mohair blend.  Some of the samples were neutral colors, some bright and vivid.  When they were all spun into a lightweight single ply, I spun an equal amount of Blue Faced Leicester that was undyed into another lightweight single ply.  I worked on this at the weekly spinning group to which I belong, The Spunsters, and when we arrived home after the wicked summer storm that hit and discovered that the power was out, I finished that bobbin and plied the two singles together to produce this
a delightful funky 320 yards of fingering weight yarn.
     For years, I have wanted to knit a blanket or throw for cold mountain nights and this this might be the start of it, a bit of color, a bit of natural, all handspun.  Since I have other handspun left from other projects or never designated to a project, perhaps I will use it too and make my blanket, not only one I knit, but one I spun first.
     As for the power outage, it got our neighbor out here to finish mowing the hay, since they had no power either, and just as he finished and darkness was falling, the lights came back on, only 6 1/2 hours this time.  Not bad considering every household in our entire county was without.

No comments:

Post a Comment