Monday, November 12, 2012

A horse is a horse, . . .

Fran on Doc
     Riding lessons continue, we have learned to make the horse move sideways to facilitate opening a gate, to back up, to pivot around a front leg.  Jim consistently is given the choice of Levi, shown below or Nemo, who I rode last week, they are large, tall horses and though Nemo is a good mount, I decided that an average size mount is better for me.  I started on Nippers, a round bellied paint, very good natured and easy to ride.  My third lesson was on Squirt, a bay, also good natured.  Today, I was given my choice of any of the three I had previously ridden or Doc, the flea bitten Gray.  Not literally flea bitten, just his coat has speckles of chestnut in it.  I learned that they are called Gray's because their skin is black, their coat is white.  Doc was a bit more spirited and a fun ride.
     Today we were challenged with obstacles at a trot, poles laid on the ground, then divided into thirds with cones and barrels that we had to zigzag in and out at a trot.  Each horse has handled a bit differently, some requiring more reining, Doc liked control with your legs.  I feel fairly confident at this point, can get the horse in, saddled securely and bridled without assistance.  Walking and turning don't bother me, trotting occasionally makes be feel a bit off balance, but I'm getting the hang of it.  I am actually more comfortable when we are asked to trot without stirrups than with them, I feel I have more control of the horse.
     I'm glad Jim talked me into lessons, though I'm not sure I'm ready to go out of the arena and on to a trail yet.
Jim on Levi, Fran on Doc
 
     I promised photos and Reanna, our instructor was happy to take them for us.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment