Friday, November 9, 2012

Cozy goodness

     Though the next few days are going to tease us with warmth and sunshine, the past few weeks have reminded us that winter is headed our way.  Will it be mild and dry, cold and wet, frigid and snowy, that remains to be seen.
     Regardless of the level of winter that befalls us, most days require a jacket or coat, a scarf, hat and gloves.  The winter stash of these items has been dragged off the shelf, reminding us that hubby lost his leather gloves in the spring.  A trip to the mall just before Halloween to look for a new pair showed all of the Christmas decorations up, not just before Thanksgiving this year, before Halloween, but alas, though the decorations were up, the coats displayed, no leather gloves yet.  Apparently they are a Christmas gift item and haven't been received as yet.  We left with a thin fleece pair with a leather palm for driving which will have to do him until the others come in.
     I was reminded that I have a scarf I started last winter to go with a hat I designed and knit last winter that I suppose I should finish.  One of my other hats I knit is lovely fall colored handspun yarn that I bought at a craft show several years ago and I made a silk scarf in one of the greens to go with it.  My favorite hat is yarn from Unplanned Peacock, a local friend who is an independent yarn dyer and she only made a couple of skeins in a lovely Ruby color.  She made a hat from one, I made a hat from the other.  She hasn't been able to duplicate the depth of color again so that I can make a scarf.  Maybe someday when she dumps her leftover reds together at the end of a dyeing session, she will accidently hit on it again.
     When I started spinning and making yarn, I just put it aside and admired it.  My spinning friends convinced me that I should really be knitting it, so I found a scarf pattern, Chinook by Ali Green and knit the scarf and it just yelled my stepmom's name.  The yarn was a creamy white and I dyed it peach, one of the colors she wears beautifully.  Now we don't exchange gifts anymore, but her birthday is one day before mine and this year the rule will be cracked a bit and she will have a cozy warm scarf to wear on a winter's day.

No comments:

Post a Comment